Friday 31 August 2012

My College Summer Project


Hello!

Been a little while again, sorry! BUT! I thought that I would show you what has been the culprit in taking up a fair chunk of my time. 

Over the summer holidays, I've been given a project to do by my college. Basically the brief was to create 5 pieces using the skill of direct observational (drawing something actually in front of you). I could draw anything I wanted and so this is what I came up with:

Landscape


I drew this scene whilst on holiday in Northumberland. This was a lovely old ruin called Dunstanburgh Castle.

Portrait/Photography


Ok so I cheated a bit by combining the two pieces together but for a good reason. I'm told that this will come in really handy for portrait drawing on my course. This lady was at the Alnwick World Music Festival and was wearing a lovely spanish dress with beautiful, bright colours.

Still Life 


These drawings are of some wild flowers that I collected and placed in these bottles. I've been doing this quite a lot this summer whilst on my dog walks. I quite enjoy the challenge of creating a nice bouquet out of whatever I come across.


Sculpture


Finally I had to make a sculpture. I decided to just have a bit of fun with this piece and as all my pieces were working off a theme of 'My Summer' I thought I couldn't not have something about the Olympics in there. Wire and Mod-Roc figures in the style of an artist called Giacommetti froze Usain Bolt and Mo Farrah in their famous celebration poses! Don't ask me who the bronze guy is meant to be!

So that's basically it. We have to present these on the first day of college onto our brand new college blogs. It's going to be really interesting to see what other people have made of the brief!

I won't have long to find out as I start back at college on Monday! It's been a lovely long summer (I think about 11 weeks off) and though it is a bit nerve racking starting a new course, I am also quite looking forward to it!

I'm afraid though that this blog is going to be running like it's still summer as I've still to post about the crafty happenings that I've been up to. Oh well, at least I can still pretend here that it's still summer!

2 comments:

Granny said...

I love it all - especially the sculpture - the colours - the poses-excellent. I bet you enjoyed doing the project - it comes across!
Have you tried scribbling with a soft pencil and then picking up the graphite on a tissue,rubbing it over the shape and then using the edge of a rubber to get form and light highlights ,especially on glass? rather lazy but it does work! xx

Bekah Funning said...

I really enjoyed doing it all! The thing I love is being able to stand back and see them all complete and presented nicely. I certainly feel like I've learnt a lot too which is always good.

I'm glad that my enjoyment does come through. That I think is always important with art like this especially as this is the first proper thing that your tutor will have seen you do.

Surprised that you like the sculpture. It's probably my least favourite as I don't feel like I've executed it that well; it felt like I rushed it a bit. It is growing on me though.

To be honest, I've never really tried any technique in drawing. All I've done at the moment is to just draw what I see. Our first assignment at college will be drawing so I'm sure we're going to be practising so many of the techniques as you've suggested.